-pocalypse of the year? airpocalypse

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 23 01:26:56 UTC 2013

" Foreign residents in Beijing declared an 'airpocalypse' last
January [2013?] when the United States Embassy reported an air
quality index equivalent of 755 [the scale's limit is 500], with a
PM2.5 [particles 2.5 microns in diameter or smaller, very harmful to
human health] concentration of 866 micrograms per cubic meter. "

New York Times, 2013 Ovt. 22, A11, col. 2 [New England Edition],
"Smog Envelops and Chokes City in Northeast China" {Harbin], by Mia Li.

Not in the OED.  I have not tried to trace early (2012?) instances,
except that Google Books I think has none before 2012.  I do not
count the air guitar band of the same name.

Joel