Request search for anecdote in Variety - "I insured my voice for $250,000"

Mon Sep 2 18:15:13 UTC 2013

The following joke/anecdote is present in the Google Books database in
a periodical called "Goat World" dated 1932. The text below
acknowledges the periodical Variety and ProQuest has a comprehensive
Variety database within the Entertainment Industry Magazine Archive:

[Begin excerpt]
 "I insured my voice for $250,000," said a pompous singer.

 "And what," asked his rival, "did you do with the money?" - Variety.
[End excerpt]

If you have access to the Variety database it would be very kind of
you if you searched for this text and sent me a full citation.
(Sending the PDF with the text would be great).

Note that the year given by GB may be inaccurate. For example, a GB
search for 1941 indicates that 1941 issues are included in the volume
with the target text.

In modern times this squelcher has been assigned to Miriam Hopkins.
For example, Broadway Anecdotes (1990) by Peter Hay includes a version
featuring Hopkins.

Here is an instance with anonymous participants in 1936 in Literary
Digest. An instance before this citation would be interesting to me:

[ref] 1936 October 10, The Literary Digest, Volume 122, Number 15, The
Spice of Life, Start Page 48, Quote Page 48, Column 2, Published by
Funk & Wagnalls Company, New York. (Unz)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
A Good Claim.--"I insured my voice," stated the famous singer, "for £50,000."

"And what," asked his rival, "have you done with the money?"--Marc
Aurelio (Rome).
[End excerpt]

Thanks,
Garson