Antedatings of "give/show you what for"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 3 08:41:50 UTC 2013

"to give (one) what for" / "to show (someone) what for" (OED 1873)

The OED's 1873 is a "give…", their first "show…" is 1960. I found a pair of "gives" from 1868 and a "show" from 1858.

First, Springdale Abbey (page 159, 1868) by Joseph Parker:

[Begin]
Spite of your melancholy wheezing, to which the hydropathic adder turns a deaf ear, he catches you a sharp rap on the back, and with a knowing wink at one of his co-bucketters, he says he will give you "what for."
[End]
http://books.google.com/books?id=NrwBAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA159&dq=%22give%20you%20what%20for%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=DZMlUtqrI8rXtAbFxYHQDQ&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAg

Second, Secrets of the Turf; or, how I won the Derby (page 125, 1868) by Samuel Bracebridge Hemying:

[Begin]
I'm the master of the situation, and if you don't take your hook instanter, I reckon I'll give you what for with this bit of wood.”
"Show you what for"
[End]
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bkRWAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA125&dq=%22give%20you%20what%20for%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=R54lUumxLYrCtQaS8ICgCQ&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAQ

Finally, Wild Western Scenes: A Narrative of Adventures in the Western Wilderness (page 137, 1858) by John Beauchamp Jones:

[Begin]
"What did you do that for ?" asked Sneak, rising up and brushing the snow from his head, and face, his fall having broken the icy surface.

"You rascal, you ! I'll show you what for !" cried Joe, endeavouring to get at him again.
[End]
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mDsqAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA137&dq=%22show%20you%20what%20for%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_JwlUpSqOcbRtAb-0oG4Bg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=%22show%20you%20what%20for%22%20&f=false

This is good as it shows it used as an angry response to someone asking "What did you do that for?".

Hugo