"APP": a new (?) meanaing

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 3 19:03:30 UTC 2013

> Does "app" as an abbreviation for "appetizer" occur elsewhere?

Yes it does. Here's a quick sampling, mostly from cooking groups, by searching Google Groups for: app appetiser OR appetiser

2012: "Appetizer before Beef Stroganoff?" …
"Anyone have a suggestion for a really impressive vegetable app?" …
"Beef stroganoff is an entree of a certain era. Perhaps a similarly dated app - a rarity nowadays - consomme madrilene. " ...
"Is this meant to be a "sit down and eat it" app, or is it meant to be more like an hors d'ouevre?" …
I've seen stroganoff that has chopped pickles in it, added last. If you could put pickle in the app., wouldn 't that help cut the heaviness of the dish? … Most American cooks are not going to have the pickle in the dish, gives you a good counter point to put it in the app."
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/142216-appetizer-before-beef-stroganoff/

2007: "Most luau's don't have an appetizer unless you consider Mai Tai's the app or
pupu as we call an appetizer in Hawaii."
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.food.cooking/go0dItf74M4

2004: "Daughter #1:  Catfish nuggets (actually an app, but it was plenty for her esp.
since she had wolfed down more than her share of the banana peppers)."
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/triangle.dining/hyPxywibhjQ

2002: "I had the polenta appetizer and the SO had the risotto appetizer (it's
on the lunch menu as entree but they made it for him as an app -- it's
on the dinner menu that way)."
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ba.food/xBwA_U7UPi4

1996: "(two app recipes snipped)"
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.food.cooking/FoZ5ZdryQpU

1994: "I had something called a
crawfish crepe for an app though, it was quite tasty."
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/neworleans.info/UXq8JsOdCSo

1994: "If you like
        fried crawfish (tails only, shelled--in other words, you can
        eat everything they bring), you might find the appetizer size
        enough for a meal.  My husband and I would order two app.'s
        and a baked potato (sub for the fries that come with it), and
        still pay less than the entree size and be totally stuffed!"
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/houston.eats/1VBPk40z_dY

And as another foodie use, short for bon appétit":

2001: "bon app!"
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.support.diet.weightwatchers/UiYjDd3muhU

Hugo