"APP": a new (?) meanaing

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 3 20:05:47 UTC 2013

I know I can't beat BZ's 1989 citation, but I've heard/seen it for the
past decade, perhaps longer. Seems to be common in busy commercial
kitchens (with lots of staff, where talk is at a premium). Not Your
Average Joe's in the Boston area has been using it in advertizing as
long as I can remember, particularly in email/newsletter promotions.
Aside from large staff kitchens, there may be a couple of other vectors
to consider. An obvious one is Twitter--having a limited number of
characters affects the use of long but obvious words like
"appetizer"--and TV contest/reality shows that have also been around for
half-dozen years (not in the original Iron Chef IIRC, but I've noted it
in Top Chef, Next Iron Chef, Restaurant Impossible and a few others).

     VS-)