Anecdote: Samuel Johnson's dictionary and naughty words: Have you been looking for them?

Sun Sep 22 22:37:00 UTC 2013

The Quote Investigator website now has an article about the topic
mentioned in the subject line of this message. Below is the first
citation:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/22/improper-search/

[ref] 1785 April, The Gentleman's Magazine, "Dr. Johnson at Oxford,
and Lichfield", Start Page 288, Quote Page 288, Column 2, Printed by
John Nichols for D. Henry, London. (Google Books full view) link
[/ref]

http://books.google.com/books?id=qEoDAAAAMAAJ&q=daubed#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
A literary lady expressing to Dr. J. her approbation of his Dictionary
and, in particular, her satisfaction at his not having admitted into
it any improper words; "No, Madam," replied he, "I hope I have not
daubed my fingers. I find, however that you have been looking for
them."
[End excerpt]

Feedback welcome,
Garson