Anecdote: Samuel Johnson's dictionary and naughty words: Have you been looking for them?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Sep 22 22:59:17 UTC 2013

I'm reminded of the allegation about Noah Webster, whose dictionary
was in some particulars more correct than Johnson's,* that he said
"No, madam.  I'm surprised; you are astonished."

* Webster correctly described the Arabian and the Bactrian camels.

Joel