Antedating of "Gung Ho"

Sat Apr 12 21:06:34 UTC 2014

Here is an example a few days earlier in April 1941 of an individual
whose nickname included "the Kung-ho Jen" which was translated into
English as "the Work-Together Man"

[ref] 1941 February 21, Greensboro Daily News, The First Reader, Quote
Page 7, Column 2, Greensboro, North Carolina. (GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
How the Indusco Carries On.

A number of writers have re-
ported on the industrial co-opera-
tives--the Indusco--by means of
which small machine shops are
being established in the back areas.
Snow makes an inspiring story out
of the fight of Rewi Alley, the
New Zealander, to establish them.
The Chinese call him Ai Li, Lover
of Dawn, or Pi-tzu, the Kung-ho
Jen--Tall Nose, the Work-together
Man.
[End excerpt]

Please double-check for errors.

Here is a raw match in Google Books. The 1940 year may be inaccurate.

Co-op Oil Assn. Fax - Volume 4
books.google.com/books?id=4IdKAAAAYAAJ
1940 - Snippet view
[Begin extracted text]
China's battle cry today is "Gung-ho" which means "Work Together." It
rises above the roar of the invader's artillery, in the whir of
wheels, the clack of looms, resounding in compounds, dugouts, mountain
caves, abandoned temples, and village ...
[End extracted text]

Garson