Towards/toward (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 14 19:54:22 UTC 2014

On Apr 14, 2014, at 12:19 PM, Charles C Doyle wrote:

> Back before there existed major-league baseball teams in Georgia and Texas and Florida, the St. Louis Cardinals were frequently adopted as the "Southern" team to cheer for.
>
> --Charlie

And the Western team as well, even though it's just barely more Western than Chicago.  By the mid-1960s, the St. Louis Cardinals were known for being a comfortable enough environment for black players that Curt Flood challenged the reserve clause (unsuccessfully) when he was traded from the Cards to the Philadelphia Phillies, in part because he knew Philly (team and/or city; I can't recall all the details) was a more racially hostile place to play than St. Louis.

LH