Possible Antedating of "Slang"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 16 12:50:13 UTC 2014

He doesn't use slang.

Moreover, John's beguiling 1733 discovery is less impressive now that it
might have been thirty years ago. Before digitized databases, one could
ponder the notion that many, many undiscovered examples of "slang," some in
the modern sense, were lying around undiscovered in the early 18th century.
That likelihood is now reduced practically to zero.

If "Toby Slang" had somehow popularized the use or notion of slang, very
likely we'd have some hint of it in ECCO. Last time I looked (maybe they've
expanded it again), we didn't.

Nor is it entirely clear that the OED's 1756 ex.refers to language rather
than, say, to town low-life in general. Liberman (2008) suggests plausibly,
though not conclusively. that slang "must" [sic] at one time have meant
"territory over which hawkers, strolling showmen, and other itinerants
traveled," and that, applied to language, it originally designated the
"banter" of such characters.

JL