Possible Antedating of "Slang"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 16 12:54:47 UTC 2014

Somehow cut off was the opening line:

"Cf. the character Slango in Henry Carey's 'The Honest Yorkshireman'
(1736)."

I don't know anything about "Toby Slang" except - interestingly enough -
that English crooks at one time called the highway "the high toby."

JL