_Canvass_ > "examine, pore over, search"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 18 00:15:48 UTC 2014

The really fun part of the OED entry for _canvass_ (which inspired me to use it in a class exercise to demonstrate semantic change) is the history, from canvas (the cloth) to the use of canvas sheets for fun and torture back in the early 16th c.:

1. To toss in a canvas sheet, etc., as a sport or punishment; to blanket. Obs.
†2. To knock about, shake and shatter thoroughly; to buffet; to beat, batter, drub.

By the late 16th c. this began to allow for metaphorical readings, but the route from tossing someone in a canvas sheet or thrashing them to surveying a region to soliciting votes is pretty interesting.  Warning: tracking the history may provide an unfortunate reminder of the 2000 presidential election.

LH