concerning

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 21 21:58:13 UTC 2014

Media types now like to say "concerning" instead of "worrisome,"
"worrying," or "cause for concern."

This has been going on for a number of years. Maybe a decade?

In the sense of "that gives cause for anxiety or distress," OED has but a
single example, from Richardson's _Pamela_ (1740).

Contrast def. 1: "That is of concern, that gives cause for consideration;
important; weighty. _arch_."  (1649 - a1834).

I believe I see the distinction, but it should be made clearer in revision.

The article hasn't been revised since 1891.

JL