Antedating of "hashtag"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 23 21:43:03 UTC 2014

You'll find the tweet cited on p. 96 with the attributive uses, as the
tweet reads "i support the hash tag convention." The meta-hashtag
"#hashtag" is difficult to interpret on its own, so that's why we
chose to focus on how it was used in running text (with the
explanation in the intro providing the chronology).

--bgz