"can of corn"

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Aug 21 21:32:02 UTC 2014

The expression "can of corn" in the sense of 'easy task' (or, as we might say, "piece of cake") has been familiar to me for some decades, though I hadn't heard it in a while till last night's telecast of the Atlanta Braves vs. Pittsburgh Pirates baseball game.  Chip Caray remarked, about an easily-caught high fly ball to center field, "That's a can of corn for BJ Upton."

The expression is absent from HDAS. (I lack access to DARE and other reference works, presently.) I wonder what the image originally imported . . . .

Charlie