Facebook: "[Name], _bar-waitress_ ..."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 27 08:03:14 UTC 2014

Back in the '50's, an R&B jam had the verse

"Hey, bar-waitress! Give *evvibody* a drank!
'Cause I'm popping... this *mewning* [sic]!"

Except for these two instances, I know only "barmaid" and unisex
"bartender." The instance of "pop" = "buy a round for the house" is a hapax
for me *personally*, but lexicographers are aware of it, it having been
mentioned in these very pages years ago. "Mewning" for "morning" is just a
jocular, pretend mispronunciation. Google has instances of "good mewning!"
But I very much doubt that they are continuations of the "mewning" above.
Of course,

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson