"Hog _Mawls_"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 30 05:21:39 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:56 PM, W Brewer <brewerwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> A burl (American English) or bur or burr (

> _used in all non-US-English speaking countries_

> ) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown
> in a deformed manner.

There's ya ranswer, rat thar: non-US.

BTW, an episode of "King of the Hill," the animated cartoon, is devoted to
a fruitless effort to acquire such a resource.

A "burr," OTOH, is just a weed.

All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-Mark Twain

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list