[Ads-l] cut the mustard

Wed Dec 3 17:57:39 UTC 2014

The website Ben pointed to recently has an interesting article about
"cut the mustard" that was posted a two days ago. The article was an
update of an article that was posted back in May 2014.

The phrases "cut the mustard" and "cut the muster" were discussed on
the ADS list in July 2011.

Website: Early Sports and Pop Culture History Blog
Date: May 5, 2014
Article: History and Etymology of "Cut the Mustard" - Locusts, Bad
Seeds, Invasive Species and Politics

http://esnpc.blogspot.com/2014/05/history-and-etymology-of-cut-mustard.html

[Begin excerpt]
A thorough review of recently uncovered, early uses of the phrase in
print, however, suggests that the idiom alludes to being diligent in
the regular cutting of mustard plants in an effort to limit crop
losses due to the plant.  The idiom also appears to have been borne of
a natural disaster of biblical proportions.
[End excerpt]

Website: Early Sports and Pop Culture History Blog
Date: December 1, 2014
Article: "Cut the Mustard" Update

http://esnpc.blogspot.com/2014/12/cut-mustard-update.html

Garson