[Ads-l] Is it just me?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 8 23:01:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just because 2/3 of the *affected* are women does not mean that it is "more
> common" percentage-wise in all women than it is in all men.
>
> I would have said "but" rather than "although." I think "although" implies
> a closer coordination.

Okay, you've forced me to make an agonizing re-appraisal.

"Though / But, originating in the metropolis at the mouth of the
Mississippi River, New Orleans blues, with its Afro-Caribbean rhythmic
traits, is distinct from the sound of the Mississippi Delta blues."

That's a rebuttal. But, there's nothing to rebut. Nowhere previous in the
article has there been any discussion of the genres of the blues at all,
nor even the slightest hint that there exists any variety in the blues.

So, why not simply:

"Originating in the metropolis at the mouth of the Mississippi River, New
Orleans blues, with its Afro-Caribbean rhythmic traits, is distinct from
the sound of the Mississippi Delta blues."

"It is more common in women than in men, _although, but_ about a third of
those affected are male."

> Close to being a non sequitur in any case.

I think "being nonsensical" is the phrase that you're reaching for.

--
-Wilson
-----