[Ads-l] "Don't hate. Appreciate!"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 10 14:25:52 UTC 2014

I became familiar with "hater" (/'het@(r)/ with the linking [r] pronounced intervocalically as in "hater in the house") years ago on SportsCenter, from Stuart Scott's usage, e.g. for a fielder who robs a hitter of a hit or a defender who intercepts a pass. Frequently also in "playa-hata", but with literal reference to a player on a field of athletic endeavor, not to those envious of successful womanizers.

LH