[Ads-l] Antedating of "Ampersand"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Dec 19 18:12:20 UTC 2014

It strikes me that the 1795 usage is satirical -- if "he" has "tried
all the historians from great _A_, to _ampersand_" and goes on to
"selecting his own facts, forming his own conclusions", then "he"
hasn't gone very far, only from A to ampersand (presumably ampersand
is sorted among the A's) and not from A to Z.  When and how did "from
A to ampersand" come to mean "the whole range of a subject"?  Or did
the 1795 writer take an expression that *already* meant "the whole
range of a subject", and turn it into a criticism where readers would
take it literally, as meaning "*not much* of a subject"?

Joel