[Ads-l] Antedating of "Ampersand"

Fri Dec 19 18:25:04 UTC 2014

Below is a claim about the position of & in an alphabetic ordering.

News source: The Guardian
Article title: From 'A' to 'ampersand', English is a wonderfully
curious language
Article author: Paul Anthony Jones
Date on website: 15 February 2014

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/feb/15/from-a-to-ampersand

[Begin excerpt]
ampersand

Until as recently as the early 1900s, "&" was considered a letter of
the alphabet and listed after Z in 27th position. To avoid confusion
with the word "and", anyone reciting the alphabet would add "per se"
("by itself") to its name, so that the alphabet ended "X, Y, Z and per
se &". This final "and per se and" eventually ran together, and the
"ampersand" was born.
[End excerpt]

Garson