[Ads-l] "Downsight"

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 29 05:30:51 UTC 2014

Offhand, polyphonetic spelling is conducive fluctuation.
The old [f ~ v, th ~ dh, s ~ z] morphology gets leveled out. Would
expect [b > p, d > t, g > k, etc.] only in absolute word-final
position.
HS: <<I don't hear "fleece" for "fleas" or /kars/ for /ka:rz/.>>
WB:  "My dog has fleas / fleece." (A sheep dog?)
Intuition vs. Phx 101 larnin'.  I feel a difference.
Also sprach Ohala:  fleas:  the /z/ has voiced onset,
but is partially devoiced (divorced?) by AWFP silence.
So, where's the beef?