[Ads-l] "Downsight"

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 30 03:46:09 UTC 2014

And that is in the nature of lenes in English before a voiceless state.
But a devoiced lenis does not a voiceless fortis make.  The problem is that
in the -ese suffix, and apparently only in the -ese suffix, for some
speakers, the lenis becomes fortis, as is shown by the shortened vowel
before it.  OE intervocalic voicing of fricatives is gone except for some
morphophonemic traces, but this fortition is a different process.  The
final devoicing of a lenis doesn't normally condition vowel shortening.

Herb