Raleigh, N.C. -- awesome or aw-dropping?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Feb 13 03:46:46 UTC 2014

At 2/12/2014 08:47 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>I suspect I've gone back and forth on Raleigh (North Carolina, Sir
>Walter, cigarettes, whatever), between Rollie (which I pronounce
>with an [a], or really script a, vowel as in the first name of the
>ex-A's/Brewers' relief pitcher Fingers) and Rawley.  I think I might
>be more likely to use the open-o for Sir Walter Raleigh because of
>the rounding in his first name, more so than in the snow- and
>ice-bound N.C. city.   It's hard for me to be sure exactly how I
>tend to pronounce these unselfconsciously, though. (

I find that I react (recoil?) when I *hear* a pronunciation that's
not mine, but like LH am unsure about my own pronunciation when I
deliberately think about it or speak it out.  I've begun to trust my
first reaction and discount my experiments.

Joel