Raleigh, N.C. -- awesome or aw-dropping?

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 13 03:47:47 UTC 2014

I thought the game would be over when "Paul" of Paul McCartney was pronounced "Poll" (as in "doll").  Sure enough it happened at the CBS commemoration of the Beatles 50 th anniversary of appearing on Ed Sullivan show on TV last Sunday.  The lady announcer in front of the national audience said "Poll".  A sad day.  This is the beginning of the end of the phoneme "awe".  Get set to change the dictionaries.

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk