-gate

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 10 17:24:08 UTC 2014

The -gate suffix was not used to describe what happened at the Watergate,
so there is an argument to be made that it is not a relevant standard.

The list of sports scandals in wikipedia using the -gate suffix is quite
long; none approach the seriousness of a POTUS scandal. I am sure it makes
life a lot easier for back-page headline writers. And readers.

DanG