-gate

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jan 10 18:27:17 UTC 2014

At 1/10/2014 12:24 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>The -gate suffix was not used to describe what happened at the Watergate,
>so there is an argument to be made that it is not a relevant standard.
>
>The list of sports scandals in wikipedia using the -gate suffix is quite
>long; none approach the seriousness of a POTUS scandal. I am sure it makes
>life a lot easier for back-page headline writers. And readers.

Will we soon have another Gate-gate, for the
scandalous way in which the former Secretary of
Defense has dissed the present VPOTUS?

In Sept. 2012 there was "Class wars: 'Gate-gate'
scandal swamps UK PM David Cameron" --
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/25/14089601-class-wars-gate-gate-scandal-swamps-uk-pm-david-cameron?lite
(This story, about a "high ranking senior member
of the British government", the "Government Chief
Whip", who was refused permission to ride his
bicycle through the gate in front of 10 Downing
St. and lost his cool, uses both the F-word and "pleb.")

Joel