A novel notion of "balance"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 13 02:12:29 UTC 2014

On Jan 12, 2014, at 8:56 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> I thought about that possibility but
>
> 1) the usual use of "balanced attack" in the context of American
> football is the relatively similar distribution between pass and run
> 2) the Patriots have used three or four running backs regularly for the
> past decade--the names have changed, but not the scheme

But they've been known as a passing team forever, until this season when they were reliant on rookies, little guys (Amendola, Edelman), and especially Gronkowski, who then lost his season to ACL/MCL surgery, so they've remade themselves as a running team.  So just as we can describe Denver as having a balanced passing attack (a record-settling passing team not dependent on any one or even two receivers), we can describe the Pats as having a balanced running attack.

> 3) if they normally use four running backs (which I agree that they do),
> it is unusual to have two featured to this extent (balanced would have
> been 18, 10, 10, 4, or something like that)

> 4) 24 and 14 don't look particularly "balanced" even though both are
> unusually high for 1st and 2nd most on the team, respectively (see (3)
> and (2) above)

Not really; remember that was this one game (and if I'm right, that game hadn't even been played at the time of the article); throughout the season as a whole, the division of labor has been spread pretty evenly among Ridley, Vereen (when he recovered from an injury), and Blount, and occasionally Bolden.

LH