Linguistic boundaries [was: A novel notion of "balance"]

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 13 17:11:32 UTC 2014

Back in the day (before TV and bridges), the rhotic boundary was,
approximately, the Connecticut River. And I recall reading, when I first
moved to CT, some 25 years ago, that the Yankee-Red Sox boundary was,
approximately, the Connecticut River. But post-vocalic /r/ has been
moving east (Connecticut is pretty much fully rhotic) as Y-RS line has
been moving WEST (got it right, this time!).

Alice