impactful, below-the-line, etc.--'intentional'

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Jan 14 17:34:12 UTC 2014

My current favorite is 'intentional', which has begun appearing in higher education planning contexts in the past year or so. It seems to be quite old in other (religious) contexts, but when our associate Provost for retention insists that any planning in that area be 'intentional', she seems to mean something like what actors mean when they talk about 'being in the moment'.

It's not the opposite of 'accidental', but rather something like 'with full consciousness of what we're doing'.

I'm sure it's the recency effect that's making my wife and me notice these days, but it rather irks both of us because it smacks of 'educationese'.
I know, we're linguists, we're supposed to be nonjudgmental.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.