Saying (probably in 1939): The buck stops here (Request verification)

Wed Jan 15 21:58:34 UTC 2014

Based on extracted text the person with "The buck stops here" motto on
his desk was Brig. Gen. A. B. Warfield, U. S. A., Q. M. C, (United
States Army. Quartermaster Corps). Snippets from the "Hospital
Management" volume do not show the name, but the extracted text does.
Also, other books in GB show that there was Brig. Gen. with that name.

The cite dated October 1, 1942 in the Reno Nevada newspaper referred
to Army Colonel A. B. Warfield as Fred noted. I wondered if Warfield
had somehow been demoted or if the chronology was wrong. But the
caption of the 1942 photo that depicted Warfield and the sign with the
famous motto indicated that Warfield did have a retired rank of
brigadier general.

[Begin excerpt]
Col. A. B. Warfield (above), commandant of the Lathrop Holding and
Reconsignment depot at Stockton with the retired rank of brigadier
general, is the ranking officer in the Stockton area.
[End excerpt]

Garson