Jiang - what Confucius insisted on eating

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 21 19:28:47 UTC 2014

I forwarded this to Victor Mair who replied:

All right, originally 醬 was any sort of *fermented* sauce.  The radical at
the bottom of the character has to do with alcohol.  I wrote about that on
LL several years ago.  Later it comes to mean any jam-like or paste-like
sauce.

There's an exhaustive technical volume on the subject of fermentation in
Joseph Needham's *Science and **Civilisation** in China*.

Some links:

http:// <http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/91AC.htm>www.zdic.net<http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/91AC.htm>
/z/26/ <http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/91AC.htm>js<http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/91AC.htm>
/91AC.htm <http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/91AC.htm>

http:// <http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/9171.htm>www.zdic.net<http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/9171.htm>
/z/26/ <http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/9171.htm>js<http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/9171.htm>
/9171. <http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/9171.htm>htm<http://www.zdic.net/z/26/js/9171.htm>

http:// <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E9%85%B1>en.wiktionary.org<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E9%85%B1>
/wiki/%E9%85%B1 <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E9%85%B1>

http:// <http://zh.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E9%85%B1>zh.wiktionary.org<http://zh.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E9%85%B1>
/wiki/%E9%85%B1 <http://zh.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E9%85%B1>

http://<http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=%E9%86%AC>
www.chineseetymology.org<http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=%E9%86%AC>
/<http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=%E9%86%AC>
CharacterEtymology.aspx<http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=%E9%86%AC>
?<http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=%E9%86%AC>
submitButton1<http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=%E9%86%AC>
=Etymology&<http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=%E9%86%AC>
characterInput<http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=%E9%86%AC>
=%E9%86%<http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=%E9%86%AC>
AC<http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=%E9%86%AC>

It's as early as the bronze inscriptions, but not found on the oracle bone
inscriptions.

What do you think the gist of the ADS questions is?