Spanish Origin of Miniskirt?

Mon Jul 14 03:45:53 UTC 2014

The OED citation is dated August 6, 1962:

[Begin excerpt]
1962   Billings (Montana) Gaz. 6 Aug. 6/3   Ladies feel that while the
mini-skirt may be the least, it is the most.
[End excerpt]

There is an earlier AP article in June 1962 about the phenomenon of
young women wearing short skirts in England. The article referred to
the women as “Ya-ya girls”; however, the skirts were not called
“Ya-ya” skirts. The article did not contain the word “miniskirt” or
“mini-skirt”, but it included the measurement of eight inches above
the knee which apparently was also used in the later Montana AP
article.

The reporter obtained a reaction quotation from Mary Quant. Hence,
newspapers were linking Quant to the sixties seismic short skirt style
shift in 1962.

Date: June 12, 1962
Newspaper: Ottawa Citizen
Article: Hemline Hike Hits British
Source: AP News wire
Article Location: London
Quote Page: 32
http://bit.ly/1q9248T

[Begin excerpts]
For the last three days, young girls by the hundreds have turned out
with hemlines two to eight - repeat eight! - inches above their knees.
You can see them in the parks . . on the streets . . on seaside
promenades . . on the buses . . on subways . . in restaurants . . at
parties . .  and even in church.
. . .
The Whitsuntide skirts have become so abbreviated that a name has been
coined for their wearers Ya-ya girls. Etymologists say ya-ya comes
from yeah-yeah and in its current usage is a double-barreled term of
approval and appreciation.
. . .
"Extreme youth is the fashion ideal today," said Mary Quant who runs a
fashion house in the Chelsea beatnik belt. "And youth means short,
short skirts. By 1970, skirts could be halfway between the knees and
the hips."
[End excerpts]

Garson