I reside out of that house

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Jul 17 17:55:29 UTC 2014

I've been reading discussions about "out of" replacing "in" here and
there, as in companies that are "based out of [CITY]", but an extension
from companies to individuals took me by surprise, in an NPR Morning
Edition story from July 2. The story was about Chicago allowing
residents in neighborhoods with abandoned properties to buy those
properties. One woman was talking about how a lot of her extended family
lived in her neighborhood; her aunt here, her cousins there, and "I
reside outta that house over there."

Neal