three-dog night

Thu Jul 24 05:53:45 UTC 2014

Here is a passage in a 1910 book that described gaining warmth from
three dogs during a very cold night. However, the phrase "three dog
night" was not used.

Year: 1910
Title: History of the Catholic Church in Western Canada: From Lake
Superior to the Pacific (1659-1895)
Volume: 1
Author: The Rev. A. G. Morics (Adrien Gabriel Morice)
Publisher: The Musson Book Company, Toronto
Quote Page: 320

http://books.google.com/books?id=kuvPAAAAMAAJ&q=%22the+heat%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Here we have to acknowledge our inability to express in a few words
the incredible sufferings and hardships of that voyage, which would
take several pages to properly describe. To sleep in the open at
forty-five to fifty degrees below zero, with two or three dogs
crouching on one's person for the sake of the heat they emit, is
scarcely episcopal. The prelate's costume by daytime was not more in
accordance with the canons.
[End excerpt]

Garson