Google Books no longer sorting by "Custom range" of date?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 31 01:22:02 UTC 2014

Thanks, Garson.  I had forgotten about that URL.  I will make it my
"shortcut" to Google Books.

It does allow me to select a custom date range.  But "enormously
powerful and valuable" is the mote in the eye of the beholder.  I was
looking for instances of "malaria" before the OED2's current earliest
quotation of 1740, thinking there might be some because "Jesuits'
bark" dates from earlier (1683).

[spoiler alert -- we've all heard the following before.]
The second hit of an undeclared number but probably nearly a googol
is from the United Nations Economic and Social Council, dated
1708.  The tenth hit is "Charles Knight's Popular History of
England", dated 1547.  A little early for malaria, but worth a
peek.  "Malaria" actually is on the page.  But this Googled book is
in truth Knight's "A History of England", 1867; the 1547 date comes
from the title page's declaration that vol. 2 covers "A.D.
1377--1547" (the imprint seems to have no publication date).  And the
OCR errors!  And "Search English pages" apparently conflates English
with at least Latin.  I'll browse a little, but not far.

And thanks also to Ben B.  I will keep his suggestions in mind, but
at the moment Garson's is simpler and works.

Joel