Facebook: "get out of _hawk_"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 31 20:49:33 UTC 2014

Awe-droppers refuse to say the phoneme "awe" (~au) and instead say it as "ah".  Thus when they say "get out of hock" the word "hock" can mean "hawk" and a person that's used to awe-dropping when hearing "hock" can assume the word is "hawk", and spell it hawk.   I saw an awe-dropper write  the term "hawking one's wares" as "hocking one's wares", which is to pawn and not sell.
My wife is now an awe-dropper and today said the word "off" as "ahf" (~aaf).  She was week on the "f" and I thought she said "on" (~aan) not "off" (~auf).  I can just imagine the person at the nuclear power plant saying "Be sure the valve is ~aaf, and being taken as "off".
I think ladies more than men are the primary awe-droppers.  My cousin's ex-wife calls her son Shawn ~shaan now instead of ~shaun.

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now FL 12.See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk