Facebook: "The US government is the laughing _stalk_ of other countries." [NT]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 5 06:25:34 UTC 2014

Bizarre. I got an error message from the listserv telling me that that was
a "rejected posting." Yet, you've received it.

Youneverknow.

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:37 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Facebook: "The US government is the laughing _stalk_ of
> other
>               countries." [NT]

> Wilson wrote:
> Subject:      Facebook: "The US government is
>     the laughing _stalk_ of other countries." [NT]
>

> Ben Zimmer has created an entry in the eggcorn database
> http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/482/stock/
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> stock » stalk
> Chiefly in:   laughing stalk , livestalk
> Classification: English – cot/caught merger
> Spotted in the wild:
>
> “It’s a bigger challenge for the entire community of quality
> management consultants to make sure that the ISO convention does not
> become a laughing stalk,” he said. (USJ-Subang Jaya, Malaysia, Mar.
> 19, 2001)
> [End excerpt]

-Wilson
-----