Further Antedatings of "Hooligan"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 12 14:36:06 UTC 2014

> [NOTE: British Newspapers 1600-1950 also has citations back to January 1892 referring to "The Hooligans" in listings of theatrical amusements, but it is not clear what this referred to.]

The OED's etymology notes:

[Begin]
The name Hooligan figured in a music-hall song of the
eighteen-nineties, which described the doings of a rowdy Irish family,
and a comic Irish character of the name appeared in a series of
adventures in Funny Folks.
[End]

The Sydney Morning Herald (20 November 1888) has a comedy Irish song
using the name Hooligan:

[Begin]
The comic element was provided by Mr.
F. H. Fellew in his two songs " Up to Dick " and " How
do you do," singing as an encore to the former "Miss
Hooligan's Christmas Cake."
[End]

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13704256?searchTerm=%20(hooligans)%20date:[*%20TO%201894]&searchLimits=

Here's the score and lyrics of "Miss Hooligan's Christmas Cake", an
"Irish comic song" from a Christmas 1891 magazine:

http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/cdview/?pi=nla.mus-vn661185-s34-v

---