Heard: "dog pound" > "dog pond"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri May 2 15:00:07 UTC 2014

Thanks for the reference.  The Dutch source (iffy as it is) seems more likely than the reconstruction of "slide upon", which has a definite etymythological ring.  I'm unfamiliar with the other items in Gold's piece, "potsy" (for "hopscotch", which I confess we boys wouldn't have been experts in) and "akie"/"akey".  The only word I have for the latter is "halvsies", which is not localized.

I was, however, all too familiar with the "game" of saluggi, which we've discussed here in the distant past and which is covered nicely at
ttp://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/salugi_or_saloogie
It's basically like playing keepaway with the difference that you can't say "Let's play saluggi, I'll be it".  The rules called for saluggi to be non-consensual, with the goal of reducing the victim to tears.

LH