Indiana bans linguistics

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri May 9 18:40:53 UTC 2014

At 5/9/2014 02:08 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>On May 9, 2014, at 12:51 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
>
> > Good stuff... now on Language Log:
> >
> > http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=12309
>
>Perhaps partly a question of scope. The key condition is
>
>(8) Uses linguistics, numbers, and phonetics, translations from
>foreign languages, or upside-down or reverse reading to reference
>any other prohibited numeric and letter combination.
>
>If we interpret it as
>
>(8) Uses linguistics, numbers, and phonetics, translations from
>foreign languages, or [upside-down or reverse reading to reference
>any other prohibited numeric and letter combination].
>
>then the use of linguistics is ruled out (as, however, is the use of
>numbers, which seems somewhat implausible as a banned category).  If
>we read it as
>
>(8) Uses [linguistics, numbers, and phonetics, translations from
>foreign languages, or upside-down or reverse reading to reference
>any other prohibited numeric and letter combination].
>
>then linguistics (etc.) is banned only as a way to reference
>"prohibited numeric and letter combination", which sounds more reasonable,

I too read it this way.

>although I'm still not sure exactly what counts.

That's the key to the Indiana court ruling.  Similarly a couple of
days ago, as I have commented on Language Log:

"Similarly (or is it mutatis mutandis?), the New Hampshire Supreme
Court has recently ruled that its DMV improperly denied someone a
license plate reading COPSLIE.  The court decision states that
because of its vagueness the DMV regulation violates the free speech
right guaranteed by the New Hampshire Constitution."

Joel