"War is God's way...."

Sun May 18 21:58:46 UTC 2014

Jonathan Lighter:
> Thanks for the pointer to Barry's site, Garson.
>
> Somehow I can't shake the mistaken notion that he only does NYC items.
>
> To say that "war teaches geography" is, of course, quite a bit different
> from saying satirically that...well, you know.

Yes, the presence or absence of satire provides an important
distinction. Satirical instances within this family of quips were in
circulation by the 1920s. The use of "God" in the quip occurred by the
1980s. I will try to post an entry in the coming days. (The grouping
of statements into a family is based on my subjective analysis, of
course.)
Garson