"War is God's way...."

Mon May 19 01:29:16 UTC 2014

Excellent memory Wilson. The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs has
relevant entries. Here are the first citations only.

Death is nature’s way of telling you to slow down.

1960 “Brainstorms: Sicker, Sicker, Sicker,” Newsweek 55, no. 17 (25
Apr.) 70: “Madison Avenue’s latest definition of death, bouncing
around New York last week, will hardly tempt the conservative editors
of Stedman’s [Medical] Dictionary: ‘It’s nature’s way of telling you
to slow down.’”

DMP notes the possible connection to “pain is nature’s way of telling
you to slow down.”

Pain (Fatigue) is nature’s way of telling you to slow down (you need a rest).

1920 M. V. O’Shea and J. H. Kellogg, Making the Most of Life (New
York: Macmillan) 159: “Fatigue is nature’s way of telling us that the
body requires rest. What the alcohol does is to make one unconscious
of fatigue. . . .”

Garson