antedating "calvary"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 26 20:50:08 UTC 2014

In case anyone thinks all of the cites I presented in 2013 are "mere" typos
not necessarily reflecting the writer's inner thoughts, here are two that
aren't.

>From Indiana:

1888 James Whitcomb Riley _The Century_ (Jan.) 367: He'd like to go back in
the calvery.

>From Texas:

1863 in Benjamin M. Seaton _The Bugle Softly Blows: The Confederate Diary
of Benjamin M. Seaton_ (ed. H. B. Simpson) [Waco, Tex.: Texian Press. 1965]
40: The calvery reports the enemy in heaver [sic] force than the eaving
[sic] before on the same ground.

JL