antedating "calvary"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 26 21:09:35 UTC 2014

I'd wager that "calvery" is more than a simple metathesis, as the "calvary" spelling might have suggested.  This is a morphological assimilation reminiscent of "nucular", which--as we've discussed--is attributable to the robustness of the class of adjectives ending in -cular (particular, spectacular, vehicular, jocular, ocular,…) as opposed to the rarity of those ending in -clear (cochlear and nuclear, that's about it, and "cocular" is often heard/written as well).  Similarly, -ery is a natural assimilation landing spot for a collective noun like "cavalry", given "cutlery", "stationery", etc.  And "calvery" is easier to say than "cavlery".  Plus there's the nice bonus of the "calv-" you end up with; granted, a horse isn't a calf, but close enough for the semi-unconscious if not for government work.

LH