[Ads-l] "Who am I to judge" and Notable Quotes

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Nov 19 14:15:40 UTC 2014

Yes, of course Pope Francis was paraphrasing Jesus's words as quoted in the New Testament.  Here is what's "notable," though:  The pope stands as earthly representative or regent of Christ, who "will come to judge the quick and the dead."  Francis's predecessors have shown great willingness and eagerness to judge.  If a rhetorical question can be answered, the answer to "Who am I to judge?" might traditionally have been "You are the pope!"

Of course, the dating of Francis's utterance is a whole nother matter.

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Joel S. Berson <Berson at ATT.NET>
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:54 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "Who am I to judge" and Notable Quotes

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>

At 11/18/2014 09:31 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>On Nov 18, 2014, at 9:13 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone guess why this quote is not suitable for a list of the most
> >> nota=
> >> ble quotations of 2014?
> >>

> > Of course. It's obvious.
>
>Because he was paraphrasing Jesus and/or Matthew 7:1?

I conclude it's for that reason.  But must a QOTY be completely
original, or need it only be memorable?  Why not admit something that
was first published millennia ago, and in any case is being paraphrased?

And I assume Fred's use of :-) means he is just kidding about its not
being eligible.

Joel