[Ads-l] "go to school on"

Thu Oct 16 19:07:12 UTC 2014

Here is some information about the phrase "go to school on" from a
glossary of golf terms. Further below are citations in 1962 and 1967
(GB date).

Website: leaderboard.com
Website description: Gold statistics and information from StatMasters (sm)
Date: Unknown
http://leaderboard.com/GLOSSARY_GOTOSCHOOL

[Begin excerpt]
GO TO SCHOOL

To "go to school" on a putt means that one competitor gets to watch
how another ball on the same line will roll towards the cup.

Here's how the situation arises...

Player A's ball lands upon the green about 12 feet away from the hole.

Player B's ball lands upon the green and stops about 10 feet away from
the hole. But not just anywhere. It stops at a position "inside" the
ball of Player A.

By "inside", we mean that (when putted towards the hole) the ball of
Player A will roll on a path that takes it very close to the ball of
Player B.
[End excerpt]

 (See more of the definition above by visiting the website.)

Below is an instance of "go to school on" in a golf context. The use
includes wordplay using "church", the name of a golfer. But the sense
does not quite correspond to "to learn from".