pulling (the or a) train

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 2 03:21:36 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM, David Barnhart <dbarnhart at highlands.com>
wrote:

> (fist note) Pulling train was first recorded in DAS (c. 1967) where it is
> attributed to the slang of the Hell's Angels motorcycle gang in California.

"Pulling train" and "playing train," like "running the train," are new ones
to me, as of the past 24 hours.

For me, "the train" is the name of the act. Hence, to carry out the act is
[pulling [the train]].

A WAG: "running the train" is due to the influence of "running game." As
usual, St. Louis of my day deviates with "whipping game" / "working game."
--
-Wilson
-----