Q: "Whale [and ghost printer]" in 1707?

Tue Sep 9 19:25:28 UTC 2014

Here is a layperson's guess: In the context a whale printer might be a
printer of remarkable and/or improbable tales.

The OED has a relevant slang sense, but it is attached to the full
phrase "very like a whale" used by Shakespeare and later used
allusively. There is also the extraordinary Biblical tale of Jonah and
the whale.

[Begin excerpt]
whale, n.
5. Allusive, proverbial, transf., and fig. uses of sense 1.

a. Prov. phr. (to throw out) a tub to the whale : see tub n.1 9b
very like a whale (after Shakespeare Hamlet iii. ii. 398): see quot.
1859.

1859   J. C. Hotten Dict. Slang 115   Very like a whale, said of
anything that is very improbable.
[End excerpt]

Here is a link to a reprint of the passage, I think:

http://bit.ly/1qe0Qs7

http://books.google.com/books?id=d5UTAAAAQAAJ&q=%22whale+and+ghost%22#v=snippet&

Garson